Sunday, February 9, 2014

The French Knife in WWI

While visiting my Dad, he showed me a knife he inherited. He said the story told to him was that it came from Grace Simpson's side of the family and that someone from WWI got it in France.

Which made me decide to start working on the Simpsons again so I could put a name with the knife.

I knew Grace's parents were William Henry Simpson and Mary Jane Hill. Her father died in 1914 so he would not have been in WWI.

She had two older brothers, Charles Henry and William Edward.

I don't have much information on Charles Henry so I need to do more research on him. He would have been 32 years old in 1914, so he was the right age to go to war.

I do have William Edward's WWI draft card but it is dated September 12, 1918, so since the war ended on November 11, 1918 I don't think he served.

It may or may not have been a Simpson who owned the knife. It could have been a cousin of Grace's.

So I will work backwards and then move forward with other lines to see if any of her cousins were in WWI.

I may never find out who the knife really belonged to, but I hope to collect family names that served in WWI who may have owned the knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment