Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thriller Thursday - Christ Stegman

I have to say I was very surprised when I found the following article on my Great Great Grandfather Christ Stegman. I know that Christ Stegman left Pfeifer, Russia in 1875 and settled in Pfeifer, Kansas. He married Apollonia Basgall in 1881 and they had 10 children.

This was printed in the newspaper, Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital, on October 26, 1900 in Kansas.

Stegman Winds Himself Up. The case of a man who does everything himself.

The case against Christ Stegman, convicted in Ellis County of forging a bond has been appealed to the Supreme court. Stegman brought suit against a man, but failed to prove the charges and had to pay the costs, which amounted to $66. He gave bond for the sum with him as the principal and the name George Konrad attached as security. Konrad declaired he had never signed the bond and pronounced it a forgery. Stegman was convicted of forgery in the third degree and sentenced to three years and six months in the penitentiary. He then appealed the case.


I wonder if this is one of the reasons my Great Grandfather, Adam Stegman was said to have nothing to do with his father?
I would love to learn more about this case. I was unable to find any other articles about this.
Did he spend time in jail? What was the suit for that he brought against a man? Why did he forge a document? Did the Kansas Supreme court take the case and what happened?

I'm not quite sure how to find these answers. Should I contact the Ellis Co. Courthouse and ask if they have the records? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, since I am asking for help, I found this article using GenealogyBank and saved it. I cannot figure out how to make it a JPG so I can upload it to my blog. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment