Thursday, January 23, 2014

I've got New Jersey Ancestors!


I would have never imagined I would have New Jersey ancestors. But, you never know where your research will take you.

I had previously written about my Great Great Grandmother Mary Jane Hill Simpson. Her parents were Henry Roby & Elizabeth Masters Hill. I realized I needed to search for Elizabeth Masters in the 1850 census and she should be living with her parents since she married about 1851.

I was able to find her and her parents in the 1850 Census in Goshen, Clermont County, Ohio. (1)

1. Masters, Samuel, age 42, male, carpenter, Value of real estate owned $450, born in New Jersey, can read and write.
2. Masters, Elizabeth, age 40, female, born in New Jersey, cannot read and write.
3. Masters, Elizabeth, age 18, female, born in Ohio, attended school within the year.
4. Masters, Mary, age 16 female, born in Ohio, attended school within the year.
5. Masters, Eunice, age 14, female, born in Ohio, attended school within the year.
6. Masters, John, age 12, male, born in Ohio, attended school within the year.
7. Masters, Ann, age 10, female, born in Ohio, attended school within the year.
8. Masters, William L., age 8, male, born in Ohio, attended school within the year.
9. Masters, Emily, age 6, female, born in Ohio, attended school within the year.
Top of next page
10. Masters, Barbery, age 4, female, born in Ohio.

If you notice, her parents Samuel and Elizabeth were born in New Jersey. I was a little surprised I would had New Jersey ancestors. Nothing against New Jersey but I consider myself a Southern girl and New Jersey just seems so foreign to me.

From some searching I believe Samuel's parents were John and Eunice Elston Masters who were also born in New Jersey and Eunice's parent may have been Samuel and Charity Quimby Masters also from New Jersey.

So I have a long line of New Jersey ancestors which I need to do more research on. Can't wait to see where it leads me next. 



(1) 1850 U.S. census, Clermont, Ohio, population schedule, Goshen, p. 157, dwelling 1496, family 1496, Masters, Samuel; digital images, Ancestry (www.ancestry.com : accessed 7 Jan 2014); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm M432.

No comments:

Post a Comment